Pears in Red Wine (Pere al Vino Rosso)
Rating: easy to moderate
- 6 ripe Williams pears
- 400ml red wine
- Rind of 1 lemon, pealed in pieces
- 150g caster sugar
- Whipped double cream, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Wash and put the pears upright in a suitably sized ovenproof container. You want them to fit snugly, without too much space between them.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the pears from the oven and pour over the wine.
- Sprinkle over the lemon rind and most of the sugar, reserving a small amount to spoon on top of the pears. Bake for another 20 minutes, by which time the wine will have reduced and thickened in consistency.
- Put the pears in a glass bowl, cover with the red wine syrup and chill.
- Divide between six plates, and serve with the syrup and some whipped double cream, if desired.