Monday, February 17, 2014

Never fail orange cake with no flour.

No idea where the recipie for this cake came from, I vaguely remember a TV show, but I have no idea which one.  It's the easiest orange cake I have found, and works every time.  Because there is no flour, only almonds, it is a very moist cake.

I had to laugh - on the back of the yellow paper I wrote this down on is a hand written sketch of the workflow for handling a customer complaint about loan repayments!  That takes me back many years.
 
An update: I made this cake in July, 2015 for a dinner party and used Ruby Oranges, which are red(Ish) inside, and quite acid in comparison to other sweet oranges.  As the almonds are also on the bitter side the cake was quite bitter, but so delish!  I love cakes that are not overly sweet.  Served it with sweet vanilla whipped cream, and it was perfect to end the lunch with.
 


Orange Cake

Rating: easy

 

Ingredients:

2 navel oranges
250g almonds
1 cup castor sugar
1tsp baking powder
6 eggs
 

Method:

Cut a cross in each orange.  Add them to a small bowl with 1/2 cup water and microwave on high for aprox 12 minutes, or until soft.
Allow to cool.

Blend almonds with the sugar to a fine flour.  Add the baking powder.
Seperately, blend the whole oranges until fine.  Add the eggs and blend again.  Mix with the flour.

Bake at 180C for aprox 60mins.

Cool on a wire rack and dust with icing sugar.

....................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so feel free to leave some!