Thursday, January 23, 2014

100 year old Bread Pudding

This recipie comes from over 100 years ago, it is the original pudding for using up stale bread.  I have rated it difficult for that reason. Soaking the bread for 24 hours seems a bit excessive ( at least with modern bread ).  I would go for  a much shorter time. 

 I have reproduced the recipie just as it appears in my mothers cook book, but I feel a little topping is required, possibly sugar and nuts, crumble, almonds, shredded coconut,  or some marmalade.   

You could play around with the recipie by adding different fruit, berries,  apples or peaches would be nice.   You could also vary the bread by using raisin or cinnamon bread.

Also,  I think 'meat tin' may refer to a baking dish.  I would break the bread up before soaking.  It states "1 or 2 eggs" - I would go with 2 I think.



 100 year old Bread Pudding


Rating : Difficult - as this recipie is quite non-specific.


Ingredients:

1 loaf stale bread
1-1/2 cups sugar
pinch salt
pinch bi carb soda
250 g mixed fruit
1/2 cup melted butter
45 g mixed spice
1 or 2 eggs  (go for 2)

Method:


Soak bread in water for 24 hours, then squeeze out surplus and put bread in a bowl.
Add sugar, mixed fruit, salt, bi-carb, and salt.  Add eggs and mix, stir in melted butter and mix well.
Place in a greased meat tin and bake 350F (180C) for about 1 hour.

............................................

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments so feel free to leave some!